The idea of weekend and vacation getaways is getting revolutionized greatly over the years. The numbers of people who opt to go on adventurous activity are in the rise today. The idea of a peaceful and laid back vacation is history now. From youngsters to families activities like mountain biking is one of the main option when they thing of doing something on their leisure time.
There are many reasons why mountain biking gained the increased popularity in the last few years. The one main thing is the increased health issues which have been worrying the majority of population. When people got conscious they are popularly looking for things that can benefit their health. But most of the activities beneficial for health is boring to do and there comes mountain biking that can shed the extra calorie and can help you maintain your health in a better way. This advantage is what gave this adventure sport an easy boost to their popularity.
Another thing which increased the number of people choosing this sport is the improvements done in the mountain bikes. The mountain bikes and its features have improved a lot over that last decade. The improvements in technology and the new innovations has made mountain bike safer and smoother to ride. As the bikes got better more and more people are feeling comfortable riding them. The options of bikes have also rocketed over the years and now we get to choose from a variety of bikes with different features and price range. So read this guide to get insights into 9 best mountain bikes under 500$.
See Also :
Our Best Picks 2019: Best Mountain Bikes under 500$
For those of you who are really concerned about the increased price tag of many bikes, we have something that can help you a lot. Our handpicked list of ‘9 Best Mountain Bikes Under 500$’, has some of the best budget bikes you can choose from. We have carefully added the products that give you the best of features available in the price range.
1. Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mountain Bike
The Mangoose Dolamite is a different looking mountain bike with its super-sized tire. The tire gives the bike a good look and can be loved by most people who give this bike a first look. With its super cool look and multiple features and a lower price tag make this bike a straight winner in our list of best mountain bike under 500 dollars. This bike gives us more than what we pay for and can provide a great experience in all kind of terrains.
- The size of the bike’s tire is the most distinctive feature any one will notice on the first look. The size of the tire doesn’t just give the bike the good looks but also make it easy to ride through any terrains.
- High tensile steel is used to manufacture the frame of the bike giving it good strength.
- The rims added to the wheel are light in weight and helps in reducing the weight gains due to the size of the tire.
- The bike can work with all kind of riders with varying height as adjusting the seat post height is really easy in this bike.
- Mechanical disc brake is provided for both front and rear wheels of the bike.
- A 7-speed system along with twist shifters make it easy to change through gears.
- The pedals are of good quality and give great comfort while riding.
2. Huffy Kids Hardtail Mountain Bike
The ‘budget winner’ in our 9 best mountain bikes under 500$ list is the Huffy Kids Hardtail. Kids can be sometimes very eager to try on new things but most of the time they end up giving it up once they find something more interesting. So as parents you can have a very hard time deciding whether spend a lot and get them a mountain bike. For such parents this bike is a life saver as it comes with an affordable price tag. The safety concerns can also rest as the bike gets some cool features which ensure safe and comfortable riding for your kids.
- The body of the bike is made up of good quality steel.
- A 6-speed gearing system with micro-shift twist shifter and a SHIMANO TZ-31 derailleur gives the bike enough power and a smooth shifting experience.
- The derailleur also gets a good guard which is removable.
- Both the brakes in this bikes are linear
- The handle bar position is given as slightly raised and allows an upright riding position.
3. Kent KZ2600 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
If you are a rider who loves a comfortable riding experience over something just filled with a lot of power. Then it is always good to go with a full suspension mountain bike. The Kent KZ2600 is one of the best full suspension mountain bikes under 500 dollar price tag. This bike with the presence of two suspensions makes the riding much more comfortable by absorbing majority of the shocks. The bike also gets some cool feature which is something great when considering the lower price tag of this bike.
- The frame of the bike is made out of aluminium which makes it strong and light in weight.
- The bike gets good suspension both at the front and rear which promises reduced strain on the rider when the bikes hit bumps.
- The bike gets a good 21-speed gearing system along with trigger shifters.
- The front wheel of the bikes gets mechanically operated disc brakes, while at the rear a linear braking system is used.
- The tires used in this bike are comparatively smaller than other models in this segment.
4. Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike
The High Timber from Schwinn is a simple yet powerful bike with a greatly affordable price tag. The bike looks slim and simple and gets some good features considering the cost you pay for it. This is not a bike with complex looks but is decent with a straight forward design and paint job. Although low in cost the guys at Schwinn doesn’t completely give up on this bike and have managed to provide some impressive features.
- The frame of the bike is steel and has good strength
- The brakes at both the front and rear are linear brakes
- An impressive 21-speed system supported by SRAM shifters gives the bike the power boost riders look for.
5. Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
The Protocol 1.0 from one of the big names in the Schwinn industry is one of our personal favourite and best full suspension mountain bike under 500 dollars. Although considered as an entry level bike, this can provide performance way beyond its actual price. An aluminium body and the extra ordinary suspension gives the bike both heavy duty performance and rider comfort. There are still more features which makes it a pocket-friendly and also one of the best performing mountain bikes under 500 dollars.
- High quality and strong aluminium is used to make the frame of this bike which makes the bike strong and lightweight at the same time.
- Good performing Shimano EF-50 trigger shifters is used in the bike gives the rider the comfort of smooth gear changing.
- The body of the bike is made to be weather proof and is resistant to rust.
- The bikes get a disc brake at the front, but the rear gets a normal linear brake.
6. Schwinn Bonafide Mountain Bike
The Schwinn Bonafide is one of the best options available in the 500 dollar price range for hardtail lovers. This is especially for those who don’t want a dual suspension setup from draining out the power to go the extra mile. But the front suspension provided is good enough to lower the shock from causing strain on the rider. This bike indeed is one of the best hardtail mountain bikes under 500 dollars.
- This is a strong and lightweight bike because of the use of aluminium in the construction of its frame.
- The 29-inch wheel used in this bike is larger in size than other bikes in the segment.
- The front suspension fork is of good quality and can be comforting for the rider to a greater extend.
- Both the wheels of the bike gets mechanically operated disc brakes with a good bite.
- Shimano EZ-fire triggers shifter and Shimano derailleur is used in the gear department, making shifting between gears effortless for the rider.
7. Diamondback Bicycles Overdrive 27.5 Hardtail Mountain Bike
This is another decent hardtail which can provide a good experience for a lower cost. This gets what all a hardtail lover will expect on this price range. It has good power and can help you ride through even harsh terrains with all the comfort. Made of aluminium this bike gets a lot of added features making riding safe and fun. If you are tight in budget this is one of the few best hardtail mountain bikes for under 500 dollars.
- Aluminium is used in making the frame which has helped in restricting the weight of the bike to a greater extend.
- A 120mm front suspension fork is used to absorb even harsh shocks.
- SRAM X4 shifter and SRAM X3 derailleur is used in the 7-speed gear system making it a precisely and smoothly gear shifting bike.
- Mechanically powered disc brakes are added to both front and rear wheels of the bike making it safer and easy to stop.
8. Schwinn S29 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
The S29 is a good looking and comfortable mountain bike that can surely be one of the best mountain bikes under 500$. This is a full suspension bike gives extra comfort to the riders with its good quality dual suspension setup. With more features adding to the comfort and riding experience this is worth the money you pay for it.
- This is a small bike with an 18-inch frame that is made out of aluminium.
- The gearing in this bike is notable with the presence of SRAM 3.0 rear derailleur and SRAM 3.0 21-speed trigger shifting promising for an easy gear shifting throughout the ride.
- Two disc brakes one at the front and the other one at the rear ensure easy and instant stopping
- The tires are knobby and can handle harsh terrains and the double wall alloy rims which are wide give the wheel extra strength.
9. Monster Mens Fat Tire Bicycle
Finally in our list of the 9 best mountain bikes under 500 dollars is a simple yet badass looking bike with some fat tires giving it a monster look. The slim body with a super-sized pair of wheels make it looks really good. Apart from the design some added cool features make it a good companion for you day at the any kind of trials.
- The full frame of the bike is made using strong and weightless aluminium giving it the strength and at the same time bringing down the overall weight.
- Both the front and rear of the break gets good quality disc brakes
- The tires are super-sized and are made perfectly for any kind of terrain conditions.
Tips to consider before buying the best mountain bikes under 500$ – A Buying Guide !
Buying a mountain bike is really easy today with all the technology we have today. The bike you want will be at your doorsteps just few click away. You don’t need to take the task of going all the way to a bike shop and carry it all the way home. You just order it online and you get it home with all the details to assemble it.
But selecting the perfect mountain bike is not easy as buying it. Over the years the selection only got difficult. With the options in the rise and the marketing trends favouring only the premium range of bikes made selection difficult than ever. So we have decided to give you some fast tips on buying the perfect mountain bike for you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
- Which is the best mountain bike under 500 dollars? – Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mountain Bike.
- Should I buy a hardtail or a full suspension bike? – If power is more important than comfort hardtail will be your option.
- Is aluminium bike quicker than steel bike? – Aluminium can considerably reduce the bike’s weight making it go lot quicker.
Final Verdict –
Hope you have made up your mind on which bike to buy on your lower budget. A ‘500 dollar price tag‘ does give you enough options with enough features for your ride. Our personal favourite on this price segment is the Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mountain Bike. But all other bike in the list of 9 best mountain bike under 500 dollars is equally good and has their own strength. So it is up to you now, ride safe and have fun.
HI, I’M Brian Matthew
I’m the leader in an industry called affiliate marketing. Over 75,000+ people a month read my insights on affiliate marketing, internet marketing, and productivity. Affiliate marketing is my life – I’ve been doing this for the past 7 years and I’ve done very well from this industry.