In today’s world of fast food and a range of diseases prying on human life, the need to stay fit is the most important thing one should focus on. This becomes especially true in the case of senior people. As we age, our body becomes weak and susceptible to a range of physical problems. The natural ability of the body experiences a downfall and we are no more as active or agile as we once used to be.
It becomes very imperative to indulge in regular exercise and ensure health and fitness. Senior people suffer from a range of disorders including loss of physical function, cognitive weakness, physical injuries, and more which can be easily prevented through regular exercise.
This is where the recumbent bikes for seniors become a handy gadget to achieve great physical strength in your later years of life. High –end medical associations and several researches have concluded that regular physical activities including muscle-strengthening activities and aerobics helps prevent several later age problems and increase agility. Through the best recumbent bike for seniors, elderly people can achieve their regular physical activity goals and achieve fitness for their age.
A very affordable piece of fitness equipment, recumbent bike for seniors allows building muscle and strength in your lower body. As it allows you to do low-impact exercise, it offers a gentler movement to your hips, thighs, knees, and ankles, providing overall fitness. Moreover, as old age comes with a lot of bone and joints problems, a conventional bike ride won’t be possible for many. This issue is sorted out with a recumbent bike for elderly people as they are specially designed to offer ease of exercise to people dealing with joint pains and aches. This makes investing in the best recumbent exercise bike for seniors for yourself or for anyone senior in your family very lucrative.
Let’s review the 8 best recumbent exercise bike for seniors in 2020 so that you can choose the best option.
The Best Recumbent Bikes for Seniors –
1. Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance ME-709
Known for its excellent design and sturdiness, the Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance ME-709 is one of the hottest recumbent bikes for seniors available in the market. Befitted with a computer screen to track the progress, this bike is extremely easy to use and helps seniors fulfill their daily fitness goals with great ease.
The ergonomic design promotes comfortability to the max and makes physical sessions more effective and rewarding. It is an affordable recumbent cycle that can be adjusted easily and even the most senior people can easily maintain their balance while riding this bike. Let us have a quick look at the key features of this product:
- The recumbent bike is a sight to behold. It is made of 14-gauge steel tubing with a powder-coated finish featuring a heavy-duty construction.
- The bike has a built-in magnetic resistance mechanism that offers 8 different levels of resistance. The resistance can easily be controlled using the tension rod.
- To make it user-friendly, the computer screen added to the bike is very easy to read. It displays time, speed, distance, and calories burned on a bright colored panel with the large-sized font to make it readable.
- High on comfort, this recumbent bike for seniors has a very comfortable seat with great padding and handles covered with contoured foam.
2. EXERPEUTIC 900XL 300 lbs. Weight Capacity Recumbent Exercise Bike with Pulse
Upgrade your workout sessions with this advanced recumbent bike for seniors. Easy step-thru design, smart cloud fitness, easy resistance level adjustment, and more make this bike an amazing addition to your home gym. Designed especially for the seniors, the EXERPEUTIC 900XL 300 lbs.
Weight Capacity Recumbent Exercise Bike with Pulse offers easy motion and great rewards whether you are suffering from joint aches or have a cardiovascular problem that prohibits you from intense workouts, this recumbent bike is the best for moderate exercise option, without increasing your bodily ailments. Besides, the 8 different levels of restraint make it ideal for people of all age groups. Some of the major features of this advanced recumbent bike include:
- The bike comes with a built-in Bluetooth Smart Cloud Fitness with free connectivity with the MyCloudFitness app. You can easily track your progress in terms of distance, time, and calories.
- Getting on and off this recumbent bike is very easy and hence no problem for the senior-most users.
- The construction is heavy-duty steel and with 300 lbs. extended weight capacity, this is the best recumbent bike 2020.
- Adjust the level of resistance as per your need. The equipment offers 8 different levels of resistance accessible through the Magnetic Tension control system.
- The pedaling motion is supported by the “Smooth torque” cranking system which makes the moment smooth and consistent.
3. Nautilus Recumbent Bike Series
Want to invest in a piece of equipment that offers the maximum fitness benefit to the entire family? Yes, the Nautilus Recumbent Bike Series is fit for the entire family be it your 10-year-old child or 70-year-old grandmother. Befitted with all modern accessories and features, this is one of the best recumbent exercise bikes for seniors that comes with an affordable price tag.
From enhanced restraint levels to virtual courses through the World App, advanced features are the core selling point of this recumbent bike. Popular amid users, this bike has an extended weight capacity of 300 lbs., making it a powerful bike for fitness enthusiasts. The bike is promoted based on its peak performance and digital connectivity; two features that indeed puts it above the rest.
- The most unique feature of the bike is its Bluetooth connectivity. You can connect it with a range of applications including Explore the World, MyFitnessPal, UA Record, and more.
- The bike has a DualTrack blue backlit LCD console display that offers you choices of 29 workout programs, each customizable in nature.
- Unlike many other options, this bike has 25 different resistant levels to offer a choice of intensity while you work on your body.
- The saddle is extremely comfortable with ventilated back for sweating concern.
4. Schwinn Recumbent Bike Series
Schwinn has dominated the bike market for quite some time and has delivered some of the best recumbent road bikes for seniors as well as recumbent exercise bike for seniors. The Schwinn Recumbent Bike Series is definitely one recumbent bike you would like to consider for the seniors at home.
Sturdy frame, quality build, and attractive feature makes it just the right purchase. From a variety of level of resistance to easy and comfortable usage, the bike is worth spending your hard-earned money. In fact, the look of it is quite appealing to influence you to go ahead and ride it once. The critical features of the recumbent bike for seniors include:
- It comes with Bluetooth connectivity options which can be connected with the Schwinn Trainer App as well as other fitness applications.
- It requires 110V-120V circuit. 120V 60Hz AC input; 1.5A output. 90-240V, 50-60Hz.
- With 25 levels of resistance, it offers a range of choices for intensity.
- Additional features include in-console speaker, MP3 input port, DualTrack LCD display, media shelf, adjustable fan, and USB media charging port.
5. EXERPEUTIC 300SR Heavy Duty 300 LBS Weight Capacity Foldable Recumbent Bike
There is nothing better than an efficient piece of exercise equipment that can be folded and stored at a safe corner. When you invest in EXERPEUTIC 300SR Heavy Duty 300 LBS Weight Capacity Foldable Recumbent Bike, you get these features to enjoy. Perhaps the most feature-rich recumbent bike for seniors, this product is easy to install, use, and store.
The LCD display is made wide and clear to ensure the senior person at your home can easily read the notifications. High support and comfort are the best benefits of this bike. The key features of this recumbent bike for seniors include:
- The bike has a built-in quiet V-belt double-drive transmission system.
- There are 8 different adjustable magnetic tension control system as well as a precision-balanced flywheel.
- The bike has a maximum capacity of 300 pounds.
- There are special hand pulse sensors fitted in the handlebar to keep track of the pulse rate as you work on your body.
- The high torque 3-piece cranking system offers a smooth and consistent pedaling motion.
6. Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike(300lb)
Comfortable design, high performance, and adjustable features are the key selling points of this recumbent bike for seniors. The striking design is not only unique but also very user-friendly. Right from the pulse grips to the cushioned seat and backrest, every aspect of this bike is made keeping in mind the user-friendliness.
To ensure you do not feel monotony while working out on your body, the bike comes with a tablet holder so that you can watch your favorite songs or workout videos. The bike can be enjoyed by people of all ages including young teenagers as well as senior adults. What makes this bike a worthy purchase, includes:
- One of the exclusive features of Sunny Health and Fitness Magnetic recumbent bike is its Pulse grips. The ergonomic handlebars are fitted with pulse sensors that gauge your performance.
- The design is very user-friendly with special attention paid to getting on and off the bike.
- The colored console monitor displays time, speed, and rotation per minute, distance, calories burned, pulse, and wattage.
- The resistance levels can be adjusted with the help of the console itself. There are more than 16-resistance levels that are controlled through the machine.
7. Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike(350lb)
If you want to work on your lower and upper body altogether, you must rely on this recumbent bike. The Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike Exercise Bike, 350lb High Weight Capacity, Arm Exercisers is a great addition to your home gym or perfect standalone exercise equipment. Made with great customizable features, this bike can be molded to suit the exercise needs of users of different sizes.
Sunny Fitness is a reputed name in the market and this recumbent bike is one of its best products. The key features of this bike include:
- The height of the machine can be adjusted easily with maximum and minimum limits of 34 inches and 27 inches respectively.
- It has an extended weight capacity of 350 lbs.
- The machine is built to last thanks to its sturdy frame and construction.
- There are 8 different magnetic tension levels that can be easily adjusted as per the preference of the users.
- The digital monitor tracks and displays Time, Count, Total Count, Calories, and Count per Minute.
8. ProForm 235 CSX Recumbent Bike
You can never get a better recumbent bike for seniors than ProForm 235 CSX Recumbent Bike. It is rich in features and equally sturdy to use as you want to. Great weight capacity and ProForm customer service make it a worthy buy for the seniors at your home.
Ergonomically designed bodysuits the old age needs of the users and different restraint levels make it useful for the young members of the family. Easy to use and maintain, it comes with an exclusive manufacturer’s warranty on parts and labor. Features that make this bike unique include:
- You can connect this bike with 18 workout apps as well as with the iPod.
- The display monitor is large and visible with Blue tint display light.
- The ProForm recumbent bike includes 14 pounds Effective Inertia-Enhanced flywheel.
- There are 18 different digital, resistance levels to choose the preferred intensity of the workout.
- The maximum weight capacity is 275 pounds.
Factors to Consider before Getting Recumbent Bikes for Seniors-
The design of the recumbent bike is special as it is made to offer relaxation and comfort while exercising. The design of the elderly recumbent bike must have a step-thru frame to offer ease. Moreover, it must have a comfortable saddle and cushioned handlebars.
Resistance system might not be very useful for the seniors as they start using this bike. However, once you become equipped with a bike, you need to level up your resistance. While you will use only a few of the resistance level but you must choose a bike with maximum resistance levels, preferably 16-25 levels.
You do not want the bile to be used by one person only. In fact, you need a recumbent bike that can be used by all the members of the family and thus has a height adjustment feature. Thankfully, until and unless you are too tall or too short, you can easily find the best exercise recumbent bike for seniors that is easy to adjust.
Recumbent bikes nowadays come with digital control. You can easily increase the resistance or check the progress. Make sure you find a good bike with these features.
Finally, you cannot buy a bike without money and we all have our own budget. Make sure you decide the budget beforehand and buy the best recumbent exercise bike for seniors in that budget.
Why Should You Consider Getting A Recumbent Bikes for Seniors?
Just like young adults, seniors too need to exercise regularly. In fact, the need for physical motion and activity is higher in the case of seniors as when they do not indulge in physical activity, they can get dull, and lose flexibility.
Cycling is a great exercise but you cannot expect a 60-year-old with knee pain too hop on a regular bike and take one or two rounds of the neighborhood. This is where recumbent bikes play a major role. These bikes are designed to offer a high level of comfort and ease of usage to the riders. The step-thru design and the recumbent layout ensures that the seniors do not feel additional stress or tension anywhere else in their body except the part they are working on.
These bikes provide a full-body workout, especially helping those who have knee issues or injuries. From healthy blood pressure to muscle toning and hand, leg, and mind co-ordination, a lot can be achieved while cycling on these recumbent bikes.
Another reason why recumbent bikes are great for seniors is there tracking features and restraint levels. You can easily monitor how many miles you cycled r how many calories you burned while keep a track of your pulse rate, heart rate and overall physical fitness. Depending upon the need and ability, you can easily set the resistance level and enjoy your type of workout at home.
Incase, you are looking for a vehicle for outdoor rides, check out the best 3 wheel mobility scooters for adults guide.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
The arthritic knee is a common problem in senior people and as we grow, it becomes worse. While it is very painful to move the knee when you are arthritic, the Arthritis Foundation recommended frequent mild motions. Recumbent bikes are proven to help people with arthritis by offering a laid-back design to enjoy workout sessions. Unlike upright and spinning bikes, the best recumbent bike for seniors does not cause unnecessary stress on the knees.
Losing weight is possible if you burn more calories than you intake. Any form of exercise along with a few diet restrictions can help you get rid of the extra pounds. Just like any other exercise, recumbent bikes to help you burn the calories with hand and leg movements. If you are regularly using the bike with some dietary preferences and leveling up the resistance level, you can certainly lose weight with a recumbent bike.
When using a recumbent bike, it is very important to sit properly. If you sit too forward or too backward, you can feel uncomfortable and develop some pains and aches. Most of the latest recumbent bikes come with an adjustable feature and you can easily position the seat as per your comfort level. Make sure that when you sit, you back must rest in the cushioned backrest and your legs must be stretched fully towards the pedals, resting on them easily.
Certainly not! There are some bikes that do come at a hi-end price tag but there are also variants available that are very cost-effective. As aforesaid in this article, the budget is one of the key factors you must consider while investing in a recumbent bike. You will get ample of choices in your preferred category. In fact, the above-mentioned bikes come with a very cost-effective price tag.
Final Verdict –
If you have someone senior at home, you must buy them a recumbent bike. It is very important to stay fit and healthy and recumbent bikes help in this pursuit. While all the bikes mentioned in the recumbent bike review are great, the one recumbent bike we like in particular is Nautilus Recumbent Bike Series.
Coming from the house of Nautilus, this recumbent bike is fitted with modern features including Bluetooth connectivity and app synchronization. Easy to install and use, the bike has 25 different levels of resistance to modify your fitness programs. The LCD console is customizable with options of 29 workout programs which can be personalized as per the requirements. The bike has 300 pounds maximum weight capacity and a great height adjustment feature that makes it a worthy bike for a range of users.
Investing in a recumbent bike is great and these are the best recumbent bikes for seniors 2020. Go explore them and find the best match for your requirements. Stay fit, stay healthy, and enjoy riding your recumbent bike.
I’m Brian who is the brain behind Future sport.
I have been a big enthusiast of outdoor sports and riding activities like biking, scooting, skateboarding, go-karting and many more and have been doing this for almost 10 years. I have owned a number of bikes and other sports gears over the years matching different trials I hit regularly.
When I started to get a lot of questions from friends and family about riding vehicles and gears, I decided I can help a big group through a blog something like Future sports. And as I discussed the idea with my friends who had similar interest few of them weighed in and that is how Future Sports became a reality.