Road bikes have a reputation for being too exorbitant and pricey, but this article is here to prove that wrong! This article has a list of high-performance best road bikes under $500. Road bikes are becoming increasingly popular because they are a great form of exercise and very effective for fat loss. Road bikes are also equipped with features that let you wander off into the wilderness and indulge in a bit of off-roading. Riding these bikes regularly will improve your stamina and strength, and also improve your health eventually.
See Also :
- 12 Best Mountain Bikes Under 1500$ in 2020
- 9 Best Mountain Bikes Under 500$ in 2020
- 10 Best Electric Dirt Bikes For Kids of All Ages!
Bike riding is also a very popular trend because of the increase in environmental awareness. People now know that gasoline operated vehicles are the biggest contributors to climate change, so alternative vehicles like bikes are the next most obvious choice.
Top 3 Products Comparison Table –
Our 2020 Top Picks : Top Ten Road Bikes Under $500
1. Schwinn Phocus 1400 and 1600 Drop Bar Road Bikes For Men And Women (Our Top Pick)
This bike is very strong and durable since it is made up of high-grade aluminum. The material used for its frame also ensures that the bike remains lightweight and hence easy to carry around on public transport and other places wherever necessary. The carbon suspension fork lets you have a smooth and bump-free ride. What we loved the most about this bike is the fact that the comfort of the rider has not been compromised upon one bit. You can sit on this bike seat for hours and not feel fatigued, thanks to its great design.
- It has 14 different gears for different speeds
- The Promax alloy dual pivot caliper brakes are very responsive
- Strong aluminum road frame
- Highly effective carbon suspension fork
- Double-walled wheels with paired spokes to increase the life of the wheels
- The front wheel has a quick release feature for easy storage
2. 6KU Aluminum Fixed Gear Single Speed Fixie Urban Track Bike (Budget Pick)
Simple yet extremely effective, this fixie delivers very well, especially when you keep the price point in mind. With a strong aluminum alloy frame and fork, this track bike is consistent, smooth and a pleasure to ride. This bike is ideal for riding for pleasure or even to get around and finish off your chores. Use it to explore the outdoors and the wonderful wilderness. Although this track bike may look extremely simple it is filled with features that make it an absolute must-have, especially if biking is one of your passions.
- The frame is made out of strong and sturdy but lightweight 6061 aluminum alloy
- You can choose between fixed or free-wheel riding
- The wheels are double-walled alloy wheels equipped with a flip-flop hub
- Comes with removable front and rear brakes
- It has replaceable steel dropouts
- The entire bike is constructed with smooth welding
3. Eurobike Road Bike EURXC550 (Best Overall)
If you are seriously into bike riding, then this is one of the best and highest qualities of road bikes you can get in under $500. With a 21-speed shifting system, you can safely ride this bike and also get the kick of adrenaline when you are mounted on its comfortable seat. The quality of the frame and the body of this bike is quite impressive and people almost find it hard to believe that a bike like this can cost less than $500! And you know what the best part about purchasing this bike is? It comes 85% assembled, so you will just have to spend a few minutes before it is completely ready for you to take it for a ride!
- It has 21 different speed settings
- It has a dual disc braking system which is highly effective
- It is a 700C bike which is one of the larger models out there
- It has a sturdy steel frame which is durable and can easily sustain rough and tough usage
- It can carry about 330 pounds of weight
- When you receive this bike, you just need to fit the front wheels, handlebars, pedals, and seat. Tires will need to be filled with air as well
4. Tommaso Imola Endurance Aluminum Road Bike
Tommaso is a brand people all around the world trust with their eyes closed. We especially love their Imola model because it perfectly encapsulates everything that a consumer might need and want, and comes at a very competitive budget price. It has a sleek and clean look, with a lot of emphasis given to the functionality of the bike. It was built with the intent of the consumer not having to buy another bike anytime soon. It was also designed to keep the comfort of the rider in priority. The Tommaso Imola embodies perfection and grace unlike any other bike under $500.
- The frame of the bike has been made with aircraft-grade aluminum which is strong and durable
- It comes with R2000 Shimano Claris Shifters
- It has 24-speed drivetrains, which is pretty impressive
- This bike has 700c wheels which make this bike functional on almost all types of terrains
- It has a strong HCT Carbon fork which helps with shock absorption
5. Vilano R2 Commuter Aluminum Road Bike
This is a great commuter bike which is definitely one of the best in the game today. If you want a bike that will be your travel companion all throughout your day, be it commuting to and from work, traveling to get your chores done, this bike will be with you through it all. This commuter also has 21-speed settings so it can also satisfy your need for speed! We love the sleek and slender design of this road bike and the fact that it is under $500 is almost unbelievable.
- It is constructed out of 6061 double-butted aluminum, making the bike lightweight yet very strong
- 700C wheels which are very strong and durable
- It has 21-speed drivetrain
- The bike has quick-release skewers
- It has alloy caliper brakes
6. Vilano Shadow 2.0 Road Bike
This Vilano model is the perfect bike of choice you must consider getting for yourself, especially when you have the interest but don’t have the experience. This road bike comes with 14 different speed settings and Shimano shifters. We love this bike because it is an upgraded version of the Shadow road bike. We love how stylish this bike is as well. Not only is it a high-performance bike, but it also does very well in the aesthetics and safety department. It is a well-rounded bike you must definitely consider getting if for yourself, especially if you are under strict budget restrictions.
- It has a durable frame which is made out of 6061 double-butted aluminum
- It has a lightweight build which makes carrying it around easier
- It comes with Shimano shifters and STI integrated brake levers
- All the cables of this bike are routed internally
- It has dual pivot alloy caliper brakes
- It has high-grade 700c double-walled wheels with CNC Alloy machine sides
7. Giordano Libero Acciao Road Bike
If you want to take your riding skills to the next level, then advancing to a bike like the Giordano Libero Acciao road bike is the best next step you can take. We love the attention to detail given to every single feature of this bike, especially to the matter of safety. The wheels are constructed in a way to maintain perfect wheel alignment and balance. The handlebars are made up of steel, which goes to show that the shock-absorbing powers of this bike are quite incredible, so you can expect and smooth and bump-free ride.
- Ideal for people falling within the height range of 5’8” to 6”
- Strong and sturdy steel frame and fork
- Comes with an alloy threadless stem and handlebar
- It has 14 different speed settings
- It has side-pull brakes
- It has road-clincher tires which give you a smooth ride
8. Tommaso Forcella Endurance Aluminum Road Bike
Another impressive bike model delivered by Tommaso, the Forcella Endurance Aluminum road bike is a beast on the road. This matte-black beast not only looks graceful and sleek, but it is also incredibly powerful. With about 24 different speed settings and a 50T Claris crankset, this road bike is always ready for an adventure. This road bike is designed in a way to give maximum comfort to the rider. No matter how many miles you cover, you will not feel as fatigued as you would on a regular bike at all!
- The frame of this bike is made up of aluminum and the fork is made up for HCT Carbon which absorbs shocks and gives you a smooth ride
- It has 3×8 Shimano Claris groupset
- It has Shimano Claris STI shifters which ensure you have a smooth and safe ride
- This bike has an all-black design which makes it easy for riders to customize it as per their wish
9. Kent GZR700 Road Bike
This attractive orange bike is what road biking enthusiasts have been waiting for! It is lightweight, yet extremely strong and sturdy, two qualities which are highly in demand in road bikes. Lightweight bikes are easy to carry around when not in use, but this feature does not mean that it cannot be strong at the same time. This bike uses a superior quality of steel and has 700c tires which are great on all different types of terrain. We also absolutely love the alloy caliper brakes which are very responsive and effective. This is one bike you must definitely consider getting for yourself if you are on a budget.
- It has a medium-sized frame made out of high-grade steel
- The seat post is made out of a strong alloy
- It has 21 different speed settings
- The wheels of this road bike have 36-spoke alloy rims
- This bike has a weight capacity of 250 pounds
10. Raleigh Bicycles Cadent 2 Fitness Hybrid Bike
This is a bike that is originally a road bike but can also function as a mountaineering bike or even a commuter bike. It has many different and amazing features, because of which it remains a crowd favorite and people keep coming back for more. Use it to commute to your workplace or just to enjoy some nature and fresh air, this bike is ready to do it all! This bike offers 24 different speeds and mechanical disc brakes which are highly effective. We love the wheels on this monster bike – they are double-walled, and are of 700c size, ideal for a medium height person.
- The road bike is constructed out of high-quality aluminum
- This bike comes equipped with highly effective mechanical disc brakes
- It has durable cage pedals
- The wheels are 700c and double-walled
- This bike offers 2 different speeds
How to buy a road bike that is perfect for you? – A Buyer’s Guide !
With the market being flooded with all different types of road bikes, it has become incredibly difficult to make a decision and choose one road bike without being influenced by everyone around us. For that reason, we have mentioned a few characteristics that you need to look for in any road bike you decide to buy. But before we dive into that, let’s be clear about the budget. You need to set a budget for yourself so that you don’t end up spending more than you can. In this article, we have set a budget of $500, so if that is your budget as well, then you are in luck! All the road bikes mentioned fall under this budget, so it will be easier for you to make a decision.
Here are some of the things you must consider before buying a road bike –
Road bikes these days are often made out of aluminum, steel, carbon fiber or titanium. If you are looking for a bike specifically for racing reasons, then aluminum bikes are the best. Aluminum bikes are rust-resistant, hence increasing their life span.
Steel bikes are also very strong and durable, but they are not as lightweight as aluminum bikes. These bikes are ideal for long-distance racing purposes.
Carbon fiber frames are also very good and have one added advantage. They can be molded to fit any type of shape the manufacturer desires.
Titanium frames are arguably the best and combine all the advantages of the other three materials. The only thing is that titanium bikes end up being costlier than the other road bikes.
The size of the bike is ideal, especially for road and race bikes. The best way to check if a bike is the right size and fit for you is by checking out the website and buying one which corresponds with your height.
The drivetrain of a road bike can also be referred to as the engine of the bike. It consists of cranks, chainrings, chain, cassette, derailleurs, and shifters. All these combined form the engine of the bike. This is completely mechanical and also helps in changing speeds or gears. Make sure that the drivetrain is made up of high-grade materials like carbon fiber, aluminum alloys, and titanium.
There are many different pedals out there, but we recommend Shimano cage pedals. Simple cage pedals do the job, all you need to do is wear good biking shoes and you’re good to go. Clipless pedals can also be used if you feel like you want an upgrade.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Road bikes are basically best suited for racing and long-distance riding. These bikes are sleeker than usual regular bikes and can also be used for workout purposes. They help in weight loss and toning of the body.
Drop bars have an important purpose in road bikes. They let to use multiple hand positions while riding, and also change your body position without any hassle. The drop-bar lets you lean over, giving you a more aerodynamic stance and this position also makes it easier to breathe while riding very fast.
Narrow seats let you lean over the drop bar easily, and helps you maintain your fast speed and create minimum friction between your thighs.
Road bikes have such narrow tires to minimize friction caused by air and to increase the aerodynamic effect of the bike.
Road bikes tend to be generally more expensive as compared to the other bikes, but not all road bikes are expensive. There are many road bikes that can fit under a tight budget as well. All the road bikes mentioned in this article fall under $500!
Final Verdict –
To conclude, there are many different road bike options out there, some of them are cheap and some of them on completely different ends of the spectrum. But it is important to state what your purpose of buying a road bike is and how often you are going to use the bike. Once you have these two things figured, you can decide on how much you want to invest in the bike. Go through this article thoroughly and a lot of your doubts will be clarified by the end of it.
I’m Brian who is the brain behind Future sport.
I have been a big enthusiast of outdoor sports and riding activities like biking, scooting, skateboarding, go-karting and many more and have been doing this for almost 10 years. I have owned a number of bikes and other sports gears over the years matching different trials I hit regularly.
When I started to get a lot of questions from friends and family about riding vehicles and gears, I decided I can help a big group through a blog something like Future sports. And as I discussed the idea with my friends who had similar interest few of them weighed in and that is how Future Sports became a reality.